This is a resource for cycling enthusiasts interested in learning more about and supporting bicycle advocacy projects and organizations within the US and around the world. If you know of a resource that you think should be added to this list (or if you come across a problem with any of the listed links), please contact us! This will be an ongoing work in progress.
Nationally in the US:
- Adventure Cycling (http://www.adventurecycling.org/). As a nonprofit organization, Adventure Cycling Association’s mission is to inspire and empower people to travel by bicycle. Established in 1973 as Bikecentennial, we are the premier bicycle-travel organization in North America with more than 35 years of experience and 47,000 members.
- International Mountain Bike Association (https://www.imba.com/) is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit educational association. Our mission is to create, enhance and preserve great mountain biking experiences.
- League of American Cyclists (www.bikeleague.org/content/advocacy-organizations)For generations past and to come, THE LEAGUE represents bicyclists in the movement to create safer roads, stronger communities, and a bicycle-friendly America. Through information, advocacy and promotion, we work to celebrate and preserve the freedom cycling brings to our members everywhere.
- People for Bikes (www.peopleforbikes.org/) PeopleForBikes is the movement to make riding better for everyone. By collaborating with millions of individual riders, businesses, community leaders, and elected officials, we’re uniting people to create a powerful, united voice for bicycling and its benefits.
- Warm Showers (www.warmshowers.org/) is a free worldwide hospitality exchange for touring cyclists. People who are willing to host touring cyclists sign up and provide their contact information, and may occasionally have someone stay with them and share great stories and a drink. Think Couch Surfing for bicycle tourists.
- World Bicycle Relief (http://www.worldbicyclerelief.org/) provides bikes that help people prosper.
Alphabetical By State ( City) in the US:
- Cottonwood: Verde Valley Cyclist Coalition (www.vvcc.us) The mission of the Verde Valley Cyclists Coalition is to improve the bicycling environment and thereby the quality of life in the region.
- The Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay (BTCEB Meetup) was formed in 1987, and helped to create the International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA) in 1988. The work of BTCEB is essential in developing the mountain biking culture and keeping trails open for local mountain biking. The BTCEB Meetup.com group was established by the Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay (www.btc.bike). and is a tool for bringing us all, veteran and new riders, together for a great time.
- San Francisco Bicycle Coalition (https://www.sfbike.org/) one of the largest and most effective bicycle advocacy groups in the country. Through our day-to-day advocacy, education and working partnerships with City and community agencies, it creates safer streets and more livable communities for all San Franciscans.
- Das Bike (www.dasbike.com) We are Ari, Gabe and Francisco. “We are bikes, beer, and good times. We are moving forward together.” These guys are always organizing and promoting nifty bicycle events.
- NorCal Bicycle Touring Group (www.meetup.com/norcal-biketouring/) from exploratory day rides, to weekend over-nighters, to multi-week tours, this meetup is the place to meet others and get the plans rolling. This is also a great place to exchange bicycle touring tips, knowledge, and tales from the road.
- South Bay Mountain Biking Group (www.meetup.com/South-Bay-Mountain-Bike/) Our membership group is comprised of riders with various skill levels and ages. We may have different fitness levels, but all share the common interest to ride a mountain bike. “No Rider Left Behind” This is the policy of the South Bay Mountain Bike Group, because we will ride as a team.
- Minneapolis: Transit for Livable Communities (www.tlcminnesota.org) is a nonprofit organization working to transform Minnesota’s transportation system to strengthen community, improve health and opportunity for all people, foster a sound economy, and protect our natural resources. Through advocacy, organizing, and research, we promote a transportation system that encourages transit, walking, bicycling, and thoughtful development.
- Portland: Bicycle Transportation Alliance (www.btaoregon.org/) The Bicycle Transportation Alliance ® is a non-profit membership organization working to promote bicycling and improve bicycling conditions in Oregon. Since 1990, the BTA has worked in partnership with citizens, businesses, community groups, government agencies, and elected officials to create communities where people can meet their daily transportation needs on a bike.
- Bike Utah (bikeutah.org) Since 2005, the mission of Bike Utah has been to integrate bicycling into the everyday culture of the state. Currently ranked #5, our goal is for Utah to become the most bike friendly state in the country. The host a Bike Summit and engage in other bicycle advocacy efforts.
- Bicycle Collective (bicycle collective.org) The mission of the Bicycle Collective is to promote cycling as an effective and sustainable form of transportation and as a cornerstone of a cleaner, healthier, and safer society. The Collective provides refurbished bicycles and educational programs to the community, focusing on children and lower income households.
- Bike Salt Lake City (www.bikeslc.com) Provides all sorts of bicycle resources for Salt Lake City in conjunction with the Salt Lake City transportation department.
- Salt Lake County Bicycle Advisory Committee (slco.org/bicycle/) The Salt Lake County Bicycle Advisory Committee (SLCBAC) is a volunteer committee promoting a greater understanding and better working relationship between bicycling advocates and County government. SLCBAC is an official Salt Lake County Board.
- Salt Lake City Bicycle Advisory Committee (slcgov.com) The Bicycle Advisory Committee exists to advise relevant city divisions, boards, commissions, departments of the City, and the Mayor’s Office and City Council on matters relating to bicycling in Salt Lake City. The Bicycle Advisory Committee (BAC) meets monthly to review projects of interest to bicyclists and discuss bicycling issues.
- Madison: Bicycle Federation of Wisconsin (www.bfw.org/) is here to cultivate, motivate and unite a strong community of citizens as well as business and political leaders to move bicycling forward in Wisconsin – through education, legislation and involvement.
International by Country: